About Our Ministry
St. Helen's music ministry is an ensemble-based program. This means that nearly every Mass at our church is lead by an ensemble. Our four primary ensembles are the Festival Chorale, Hummingbirds, Music4Mercy, and the Sunday Evening Worship Team (view the Ensemble page for detailed information).
After much feedback and consideration, we've acknowledged Contemporary Praise & Worship to be the most engaging and attractive style of music to both our parishioners and the those we are trying to reach- the unchurched and dechurched of our community.
Contemporary Praise & Worship music is most easily described as adult alternative rock with Christian lyrics. It's the style of music usually played on our local Christian radio station- star 99.1 fm.
The Traditional Mass
The 11am Mass on Sunday is dedicated to singing songs from our vast heritage and musical history. From hymns and motets to gospel and Renaissance polyphony, the 11am Mass is passionately dedicated to praying with the songs that have endured through many generations. Much care is taken to preserve the original beauty of this music while making it relevant and meaningful to our multi-generational demographic.
Saturday 5:30pm- Contemporary Praise & Worship
Sunday 8am- Contemporary Praise & Worship
Sunday 9:30am- Contemporary Praise & Worship
Sunday 11am- Traditional Choral Mass
Sunday 12:30- Contemporary Praise & Worship
Sunday 6:30pm- Contemporary Praise & Worship
*Note: Though many of the Mass times are listed as "Contemporary Praise & Worship," there are often elements of traditional music within each, especially depending upon and varying with the liturgical season.
Our Core Beliefs
1. We play and sing solely for the glory and honor of God and the upliftment of those who seek him.
2. We believe that when music is executed at its highest level, the Mass becomes more prayerful and meaningful for all.
3. Because of #2 we put an emphasis on growth of and excellence in musicianship.
4. We value congregational singing. Disciples sing.- "Sing" is one of the most commonly used words in the Bible. "Serve the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful song" (Psalm 102). God's people are supposed to sing. Singing together has the power to make us feel part of the movement of growing disciples that we want our parish to be. -Rebuilt, 2012
5. We approach our ministry with a strong inner desire to serve and lift human hearts towards God.
6. We value professional leadership- Our ministry is made up of singers and musicians of varying skill and experience level. We rely on the leadership of professionals to teach, uplift, and lead us in areas of musicianship and execution.
7. Above all else, we value and encourage positive attitudes, humility, willingness to serve where needed and a desire to grow and change.